Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Schizoaffective Disorder

This video touches on the illness my son Nate suffers with. We all suffer, really. Mental illness touches people in ways you can not imagine. This video contains a statement that Schizoaffective disorder may be genetic. I may be at fault, somehow. I ate right, exercised, put my children first, even before they were born, and I am still to blame. My genetic material was faulty. I will own that.

Furthermore, I will cultivate compassion. I will work for social action. I will find a way to use painful emotions to cultivate wisdom, compassion and courage. I believe that in the midst of chaos there is its opposite. I just have to find out what that looks like.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Jane!
    The most important of all is that your child is loved, you love and understand.
    Do not grieve for something that is not your fault.
    Surrender to God and their suffering will continue to work to help those in need.
    I wish much peace in your heart.
    A fraternal embrace Brazilian Girlfriend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Beth! You are such a great person and you love your son soo much and that is all that matters! I will keep you guys in my prayers!

    But I also think along the same lines as you. My oldest son has several rare eye disorders that are genetic. Not sure where he got them from, me or my husband, but I love him just the way he is! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you both very much for your support and your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with the first two compassionate and loving comments. However, I fail to understand how or why you hold yourself responsible (or have even the slightest hint of guilt) for something which may or not have been genetic...through your DNA. As if you 'caused' it?

    Also, maybe I completely misunderstood-in which case, I hope I'm forgiven. (See? I feel guilty for something I don't even know!!!) LOL! Are we not ALL alike?
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estive aqui amiga para lhe deixar um beijinho.
    Irene

    ReplyDelete