Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A journey to my core beliefs

Understanding your own beliefs comes from focused thought, and quiet contemplation. Quiet contemplation, now that is an idea! My head spins with thoughts constantly, but to quiet my mind enough to interpret them is another thing entirely. The act of making an earnest statement of my core beliefs is much more difficult than I first thought.

I have no real sense of direction, here. I guess I will start with the first thing that comes into my mind. My soul. I believe that we all have souls, and that our souls follow us for eternity. We are more than flesh and bone. More than a brain running a vascular system. We are a part of something bigger, more important than ourselves. To quote Bob Dylan " The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind." So I will move on.

Kindness, that is my next pop up. We all have been raised to follow the " Golden Rule" right? Do unto others as we would have others do unto us. To treat all people, no matter who they are, what beliefs they hold, with compassion and fairness. Taking the high road, without judgement of your fellow man. Good stuff, right? I believe in that!

Listen with your heart, not just your ears. Stay open to new ideas. Do it without fear of shattering your core belief system. I think it boils down to have an open mind. We are all composites of our life experiences. It is easy to get lost in our suffering and forget to look around at the beauty. There is beauty everywhere, in all things, in all people.

 Where ever you are, be there, in the moment. This one is tough for me. Taste the coffee with its bitter bite, hear the birds singing, outside, and feel the strain on my back as I sit at this computer doing this exercise in futility. This philosophical exercise in a semi public forum, a record of my thoughts sent out into the world.

In the end, on my death bed I think it will all boil down to one thing. I have loved, with all of my heart. I have also been loved, felt loved, everyday of my life. When all the rest falls away, my health, my freedom to choose what to do with my day, I will still have that. And then the sky will open up and embrace me, and I will be a part of something greater.


5 comments:

  1. Very nice, you 've said it all!
    Love and peace from Holland...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.
    3 John 1:4

    Exquisite Jane!! If I'm taken today to that place that is greater,, my epitaph, my final thoughts are in this , one of my favorite scripture readings,,

    But you did say it all - thanks again for being you!
    ~d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's all here.

    To remain open, to allow a disappointment not to shatter my belief, but to come to it with new eyes, rethink it. What a great thing, to start afresh every day. It's sort of easy in the conceptual stage, but in reality, it is a challenge. But I have found that the longer I practice it, the freer I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. I will carry this one around with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post! and i can so relate to what you are saying. when i struggle i still do try and always, awlays, see the beauty in the small things, because beauty really is everywhere (well almost) to soothe a troubled soul.

    ReplyDelete