Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My summer reading list

As usual I am searching for a good book. One that will change my perspective, and maybe enhance my life after I have finished it. While looking through my bookshelf I found a book I purchased this winter, in fact two copies of the same book. Yup, I must really be drawn to it to have purchased two copies, although I have to say it happens too often. I see it on the shelf of the bookstore, I pick it up and I decide that it will raise my consciousness, and I must have it.

The only problem with deep, meaningful books, is that they are hard to read at the beach. They are not always page turners. I usually end up reading trashy novels in the car, at the beach, on my lunch break, and at night before I go to sleep. This, sad to say, is the extent of my reading time, and I waste it on things with amusing titles and pictures that attract me.

Okay, back to the book I bought two copies of. I have to say that the only thing attractive about the cover is the Oprah's book club insignia on the right hand side. Oprah does recommend good reading material, she hasn't steered me wrong yet. The book is titled A New Earth, Awakening to your life's purpose by Eckhart Tolle.

If you have ever read this blog before you know that I have struggled with that for a while now. So when I picked up this book, and read the back cover I was drawn in. It explains that attachment to the ego leads to dysfunction and transcending that leads to balance. Good stuff, right?

I finished yet another quick superficial read last night and went in search of a book on the bookshelf. I picked it up, and started it. WOW! It is amazing, and I am looking forward to dusting it off the bed side table for many a night. It is just one of those books that you have to read each sentence more than once to get. I am not saying that it is dry or over my head, I am saying that with each sentence it provokes thought, and I must pause and think. This book will not be a one day read, that I know for sure.

Will I stay faithful to it until I finish? Probably not! I will plow my way through other fiction, as I savor this nonfiction gem. I intend to digest this book slowly. It may be the only book on my summer reading list that I will come away a better person for reading. At least I hope to.

No comments:

Post a Comment