Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reaching

There should be less talk; a preaching point is not a meeting point. What do you do then? Take a broom and clean someone's house. That says enough.

Mother Theresa (1910-1997)

I never know if anything I do really matters, I know that sometimes what I say, just to sound clever, effects me, and no one else. I really do try to do good deeds. I try every day to make it not so much about me, to reach out. Here's the thing, I am not Mother Theresa, I haven't her faith, her dedication, and as much as I wish I did, I do not.

Today, I will go to work, doing my "good works", and getting paid for it. So does it really count, if you are getting paid to help people? Am I just a staff, a pointer, a stick, a rock, a sound?

It is snowing lightly here today. I will trudge through the snow, brush off my car, and drive through a forest for 30 miles to work for 4 hours. I will then drive back, in the dark, hoping that I don't hit another deer, or break down, in the forest, and have no way to get back to the safety of my home.

Sometimes while I drive home, I look up at the stars, and I think about how vast the universe is. I can only do it for a few seconds though as I am driving through a forest filled with wildlife, in the dark, alone . I really do have to be in the moment then, so every day I get to experience nature. I also am blessed to have a job I love, helping people, who look forward to seeing me.

I am thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment