Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Healing Choices

When in the course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness....

The Declaration of Independence, action of Second Continental Congress. July 4,1776.

I realize that if you wanted politics blasted in your face, you wouldn't be reading this blog. I am not, a "political" person. I am just someone, who happens to be descended from immigrants who risked everything to come to the United States of America to give themselves and their families a better life. I am two generations away, on all sides, from people who crossed the ocean in search of something. Brave people, all.

What is unique is that all of my grandparents are of different nationalities. Their parents immigrated here, not knowing the language, with just a dream. My paternal Grandfather was French. My paternal Grandmother, Czech. My maternal Grandfather Scottish, and my maternal Grandmother Swedish. They had different traditions, different religions, different languages. They came here, leaving behind all that they knew, for a better life. A better life, for themselves, and their future families. I am here, because they dared to dream.

Sometimes I just shake my head when I think of that. I used to wonder why my son, Zack left home at the tender age of 14 to roam the earth. He is a wanderer, and a generation or two ago, he would have been expected to provide for his family at that age. I come from brave stock, I do. Zack is probably braver than I am, I don't know. I miss him, everyday. He called the other day, from Florida, somewhere. I never know where he is, or where he plans to land next. I pray for him everyday, and every night. I am reduced.

Nate, my younger son, is safe, once again. He is in a group home for the mentally ill. I talk to him everyday. I plan to visit him, on Saturday. He is 2 hours away, and I hope the weather cooperates. He will need everything again. Clothes, books, electronics, personal needs items. I will gather what he needs, and bring him what I can. He is going to AA meetings, and seeing doctors. I have been researching his particular mental illness and there is a new medication, specifically for it. I hope it is right for him, and that he is given a chance to try it. His actual diagnosis is Schizoaffective disorder. It is a mood disorder with all the symptoms of mania, depression, and hallucinations. He hears voices, which he calls demons and God. He laughs to himself, and has a very short attention span. He is very intelligent, and artistic. He has dreams, and I pray for him every day and every night. I am reduced.

I started this post with a point. All men are created equal. All people deserve affordable healthcare. They deserve a chance to thrive. I am a Democrat. I believe in the democracy that my ancestors invested their lives to secure for generations to come. I believe in healing choices, and I believe in second chances.

1 comment:

  1. You have two very interesting sons. They DO need a mother's prayers...and support.

    I also believe in our Republic. My grandfather also walked off the boat more than 130 years ago. Some fascinating stories I know from THAT end, also.

    I too, believe in health care for all, but not in the fashion rushed into law. And...I do not see 'health care' listed along with "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" It is a long stretch, the way I see it.

    Rally hate to get into political discussion on here, it never turns out well...Well, I like your blog, and will be back...of course!
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete