Search This Blog

Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday morning thoughts

Last night I had a nightmare. It seemed real, as I suppose all nightmares do. I awoke to find that it was 5:30 am, and I'd only been asleep for a few hours. It really freaked me out. There was famine, everywhere. People were starving, there was no work, no money, no food.  For some reason to get from place to place you had to crawl through windows instead of walking through doors.

I suppose the debt ceiling crisis which has been front and center in the news seeded my dreams. I don't care what the origins were, I just hate dreaming about unpleasant things. I would rather not dream at all. I spend so much of my life worried that when I finally sleep I want peace.

I think I may have watched a piece on the African famine last night before going to bed, as well. How selfish of me to think that my dreams are worthy of peace, when there are people who go to bed starving. People who are in the midst of war. People who never have a moments peace. Who am I to complain? No one!

The retired and the disabled in the U.S. will get a check this month. I am relieved for them. If I never receive one social security check in my life I will still be glad I paid in. I realize that this is all over my head, and I am not fully informed on this subject, and will not discuss the details of it. I am just putting it in perspective, for myself, here.

What can I do, today, to make things better? It is overwhelming to think about the plight of the world, the economy, famine, death, war, fear. It is all too much for a Monday morning. I will start by remembering that even small changes can make a difference. I will not waste money. I will donate the things I no longer need, or want, to a local charity. I will live a humble life. I will pray. I will pray. I will pray.