Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

My last energy drink!

I admit it, I have been drinking Monster Energy drinks for more years than I care to admit. Probably 8 or 9. I used them to keep some seriously insane working hours all these years. Tonight I learned my lesson! Anyone who has read my blog for more than a few days knows I have an anxiety disorder, and I mean a serious one! Well here is a recipe for disaster....

Take an extra large energy drink and drink it throughout a 14 hour day, sipping as you see fit.
Do not drink any water, make sure to dehydrate yourself until your legs ache like a toothache.
Feel your heart beating in your ears
Use liberally all the high tech medical equipment you have access to, take your blood pressure and  pulse.
Now, go to the computer, and look up all the symptoms in a symptom checker, online.
Lets see, blood pressure...skyrocketing, pulse racing, legs cramping...what do you come up with?

Yes, you guessed it, I am going to die, right there and now!!! I better drive directly from work to the emergency room....but first I call my friend, Leah, who gives me the slap upside my head I actually needed.

A reality check was in order! I drank 16 ounces of water, which almost instantly stopped the leg cramping.
I took a deep breath and vowed then and there to dump my stash of energy drinks down the sink...which I did!

Yes, I am alive and well. I just got home from work. Here is what I define as insane working hours. I have worked 28 hours in the last two days. I do it on a regular basis. I drive an hour through a forest each way from home to work, and back. That leaves me with about 5 hours to sleep in between.

I work alone, in a group home with developmentally disabled, and physically disabled people. I am responsible for every aspect of their care while I am there, ALONE! It is a physically and mentally demanding job. And today, there were tornado warnings, and a " super cell" going through the town I work in. Stress, much! Rain, hail, wind, green still air, and scared clients. Not fun, at all!


 I am going to devise a way to do it, from now on, without caffeine. That is one thing I know, for sure! Who needs panic on top of all that! But at least I love my job!


2 comments:

  1. Wow...you work alone? How many are you caring for? Just for my mom with dementia we have two people with her now (as of this past weekend).

    Glad you are ditching those drinks. They may keep you buzzing but the long term effects ...well who knows.

    Good girl for drinking your water too! Whenever I am feeling off I am telling myself to drink water..it really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried one of those five-hour drinks once, and didn't find it helpful, and have never had any other energy drinks. Well, you know, except coffee and diet coke.

    ReplyDelete